Recognition of Artistic Excellence
On more than one occasion, Southern New Hampshire Youth Ballet has been recommended by répétiteurs of the George Balanchine Trust (including Darla Hoover and Deborah Wingert, both formerly of New York City Ballet ) to be granted permission to perform Mr. Balanchine’s ballet, Valse-Fantaisie. Dancers from the Youth Ballet had the distinct honor of performing this renowned ballet in 2001, 2002, and 2007.
Since its inception, it is the exceptional training and enthusiasm displayed by the dancers of SNHYB that has garnered the interest of renowned choreographers. This has served as a considerable benefit to our dancers, performing company and school.
Choreographers who have been involved with the Youth Ballet include:
- Ashley Walton, formerly of Atlanta Ballet and Dayton Ballet
- Benjamin Briones, director of Briones Ballet
- Bafana Matea, formely of Battery Dance Theatre and founder of Juxtapower
- Douglas Davis, formerly of Zurich Ballet & Bern Ballet and currently SNHDT resident choreographer
- Robyn Goulette, director of Saving Grace Dance Ensemble and currently SNHDT resident choreographer
- Mary LeGere, Artistic Director of Raleigh Dance Theatre
- Jeremy Collins, former principal dancer with American Ballet Theatre
- Chiara Ajkun, founder and co-artistic director of Ajkun Ballet Theatre in New York City
- Peter Pawlyshyn, former Director of Kansas City Ballet School
- Kitty Seale, Artistic Director of Alabama Dance Theatre
Youth Ballet dancers have participated in many prestigious programs across the country, including Central Pennsylvania Youth Ballet, San Francisco Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet, School of American Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Miami City Ballet, Houston Ballet, Harid Dance Conservatory, Ellison Ballet and Boston Ballet.
Graduates of the Youth Ballet have contracted with professional companies including The Joffrey Ballet, Cincinnati Ballet, Richmond Ballet, Ballet Austin, Sacremento Ballet, Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago, Phantom of the Opera Touring Company, Nevada Ballet Theatre and the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular.